The City of Hollywood has issued an order that with a few exceptions, people in Hollywood are required to use facial coverings when in public.
As of June 25, the City of Hollywood is aware of confirmed cases of COVID-19 within its jurisdictional boundaries. To limit the potential community spread of COVID-19, it is now necessary for the City of Hollywood to continue to implement restrictions for the general health, safety, and welfare of the community.
COVID-19 is believed to spread by respiratory droplets that come from the mouth and nose. It is believed that people who are asymptomatic can still spread COVID-19 by breathing, talking, laughing, coughing, and sneezing. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (“CDC”) has issued a guidance that members of the public should wear facial coverings that cover the nose and mouth.
The order issued ordered by Dr. Wazir Ishmael, City Manager on June 25 states: Establishment of Required Use of Facial Coverings. Pursuant to CDC guidelines, all persons beyond the legal boundary of their residential property are required to wear a facial covering consistent with current CDC guidelines that cover the nose and mouth, including individuals within the common areas of all buildings with multiple residences and at their place of employment unless exempted by Emergency Orders issued by the Governor of the State of Florida or Broward County.
The following individuals shall be exempted from this order:
- A child under two years of age
- An individual who has one or more medical conditions or disabilities that prevent wearing a face covering
- An individual obtaining a service involving the nose or face for which temporary removal of the face covering is necessary to perform the service
- An individual who is employed in a profession where use of a face covering will not be compatible with the duties of the profession
- A person who is engaged in exercise activity such as walking, running, jogging, skating, bicycling, etc., while maintaining a six foot distance from other individuals. If a distance of six feet is not possible, a facial covering must be worn.
This Order is in addition to and supplements the City’s Declarations of State of Emergency, City Emergency Orders, County Emergency Orders, and State of Florida Executive Orders, and shall be strictly adhered to at all times.
This Order may be enforced by the Hollywood Police Department and Code Compliance Division through issuance of warnings and/or civil citations pursuant to the provisions of Chapter 252, Florida Statutes, and other applicable state, County and City laws, rules and regulations, or through the issuance of Code Violations and Notices of Violation pursuant to applicable provisions of Florida law, Chapter 162, Florida Statutes, and City Codes.
This Emergency Order is effective upon its issuance and shall remain in full force and effect until terminated.