Work is beginning on projects to be funded by the Broward County Surtax revenues.
The first distribution of surtax revenues received by Broward County took place in late March 2019.
During the previous year, the county has begun what is known as standing up the program — this means hiring staff, creating policies and procedures, and establishing an oversight board.
Work is now beginning on shovel-ready projects. A few examples, according to Cindy Malin, spokesperson for the Mobility Advancement Program of Broward County, include:
- Fiber installation in areas currently unserved
- filling gaps in the transportation network
- resiliency projects and safety projects in school zones
- conducting studies and analyses
- completing legal agreements among stakeholders
- developing approaches to prioritize municipal projects