Latest posts by Hollywood Gazette (see all)
- Broward Outreach Center to host ‘Thanksgiving on Good Friday’ block party for homeless - April 12, 2017
- Spark Hollywood hosts start-up competition for tech innovators, entrepreneurs - April 5, 2017
- Sheridan Park Elementary students invited to compete in FIRST LEGO League Open Championship - March 29, 2017
A group of robotics students from Sheridan Park Elementary School have received an incredible opportunity to attend and compete in the FIRST LEGO League Open Championship at LEGOLAND California from May 19-21, 2017.
After receiving 1st Place/Champion’s Award at their qualifying tournament, they were the only team among 45 elementary and middle school teams at their regional championship selected to represent South Florida in California. The team of 10 students will compete against nearly 75 teams from across the nation. The challenge consists of a robot game, project and core values. The FIRST® LEGO League is an international competition that encourages students to work as a team to research, build and experiment, which develops critical thinking and problem solving skills.
Sheridan Park Elementary is a Title I school located in Hollywood, FL. This means over 78% of their student population receives free/reduced lunch. The cost of travel, lodging, and entrance fees may be cost prohibitory for many of the families, but they are still determined to attend. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity for the team members. They have set up an online donation/sponsorship (tax-deductible) link to help with the costs for students’ airfare, hotel accommodations, ground transportation, and admission fees. Money will go directly into a school account just for the FLL robotics team.
If you are interested in donating, please follow the instructions below:
- Go to: estore.browardschools.com
- Select “Elementary School” under District Locations
- Select “Sheridan Park Elementary” from the menu
- Click on “FIRST LEGO League California Tournament Donation”.
Donations can be made in increments of $10.00, $25.00, $50.00, $100.00 or more.
If you are a new user, it’s a quick process to create an account and then adding your payment information.
Have Facebook? Visit www.facebook.com/SheridanParkElementarySchool and share the link from there.